The blotchy areas of hemorrhage in the skin are called ecchymoses (singular ecchymosis). Ecchymoses are larger than petechiae. In between in size are hemorrhages called purpura. The terms ecchymosis and purpura are often used interchangeably. They can appear with coagulation disorders. In the setting of normal tissues subjected to sufficient blunt trauma to rupture small blood vessels and produce soft tissue bleeding, the process would be called contusion.